Resume & Experience
Unitarian Universalist minister ordained into the Unitarian Universalist Ministry by the First Universalist Church, Unitarian Universalist of Auburn, Maine on June 16, 2018. Welcomed into Preliminary Fellowship by the Unitarian Universalist Ministerial Fellowship Committee on September 18, 2017. Awarded Master's in Divinity degree and a certificate in Ethics & Justice in May of 2017 from Andover Newton Theological School. Awarded Master's in Social Work in 1989 from Boston University.
Religious Leadership and Experience
Interim Minister, Denton Unitarian Universalist Fellowship,
Denton, TX, 8/2018 - present
* Covenant with the board to assist in shared ministry with a pastoral size church, help develop infrastructure and grow the congregation, assisting in identification of goals and strategies to move toward goals.
* Design, schedule and facilitate worship. Support increased participation of worship associates in services. Coordinate worship experience with musicians and worship associates. Provide life transition rituals including child dedications, memorials and weddings.
* Provide pastoral care in provision of spiritual groups, individual and family systems. Support the development of a pastoral care program.
* Develop pathways for lay leadership programming, increasing lay participation in meeting the spiritual, social and justice needs of the congregation.
* Supervise Religious Education programming for all ages with program structure of paid teachers for youth. ,
* Carry out interim ministry tasks (provide avenues to address grief and history, identify strengths and clarify identity, leadership development)
* Supervise 7 staff members, develop structures of supervision and work with the newly developed personnel team around role and policies and procedures.
Intern Minister, First Church and Parish, Dedham, MA 9/2016 - 6/2018
Sabbatical Minister, First Church and Parish, Dedham, MA 2/2018 - 6/2018
* Facilitated leadership retreat for 14 leaders with focus on development of goals, team building and leadership development.
* Assisted in creation of hospitality teams engaging members and friends in small group relationships increasing responsibility for Sunday tasks, leadership and ownership of hospitality.
* Supported the Religious Education program and Director of Religious Education.
* Supported and participated in following the mission of the congregation.
* During sabbatical coverage provided staff supervision and supported office and administrative functioning.
* Pastoral care in formal and informal relationships.
* Created and facilitated adult programming.
Volunteer Facilitator; Beyond Categorical Thinking; Unitarian Universalist Association, 2001 to Present
Educate and engage with search committees and congregations, coordinate and facilitate worship, facilitate or co-facilitate the 3-hour Beyond Categorical Training Workshop, provide feedback to the Transitions Office following the BCT weekend. This program is designed to help congregations deconstruct barriers at it relates to calling ministers who identify as LGBTQ, ministers with disabilities and ministers of color, Latina/Latino?Latinx. My work has been done throughout the Association.
Volunteer Peer Facilitator; New England Region of the Unitarian Universalist Association, 2015 to 2018
Facilitate congregational process, facilitate board or leadership retreats.
Nominating Committee Member; Northern New England District of the Unitarian Universalist Association,
2016 - 2018
Volunteer Healthy Congregations Consultant; Northern New England District of the Unitarian Universalist Association, 2012 – 2014
Facilitate leadership/Congregational group process around issues of basic healthy leadership and healthy congregation concepts including systems thinking, adaptive leadership, church size dynamics, power and authority dynamics, healthy boundaries and conflict transformation. Have facilitated exit interview, start up weekend, board retreats.
Community and Lay Congregational Leadership
First Universalist Church, Unitarian Universalist, Auburn, Maine, 1990 - 2002
Served as President of the Board of Directors during a ministerial transition year; Worship Associate & Member of the Diversity Task Force established to guide the congregation in its multi-cultural, anti-racist and anti-oppressive work using the Journey Toward Wholeness and Welcoming Congregation programs of the UUA.
Midcoast Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Damariscotta, Maine
During my approximate 8 year membership, I served in several positions including President of the Board, Religious Education Committee and Worship Associates Committee.
Knox County Marriage Equality: Steering Committee Member, 2011
Organized, educated and spoke on behalf of marriage equality
Outright Lewiston/Auburn, Advisor, 1990s
Drop-in center and support group for GLBTQ youth ages 12 to 21 years old
Maine Speak Out Project: Speaker
1998 – 1999/2000
Speaker for this organization whose mission was to create a society that is inclusive and respectful of people of differing sexual and gender orientations by providing opportunities for non-divisive dialogue
The National Organization for Women, Maine Chapter: Secretary, 1994
Equal Protection Lewiston: Steering Committee Member, 1992
Worked to pass an ordinance prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodation, and the extension of credit at the November 1993 public referendum which was unfortunately defeated.
Other Work Experience
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, State of Maine 1991 – July 2017
Private Practice, Clinical Social Work
April 1993 to July 2017
Facilitated change and growth within a therapeutic relationship, assisting individuals and families discover and rediscover their strengths. Specialized in work with individuals who identify as gender non-conforming; assisted individuals in exploring and embracing their gender identity; educated families about gender identity; supported referrals and consultation as indicated for medical intervention related to gender identity.
Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice, Community Health Social Worker
February 1991 to February 2001
Facilitated the development of social work policy and social work assessment tools. Performed clinical supervision; Preceptor (1992–1994). As a member of AARP’s Long Term Care Committee, presented to community groups information related to available care resources and developed resource guide. Practiced Clinical Social Work as part of an interdisciplinary team working with individuals and families who were not able to access resources for outpatient mental health services. Facilitated workshops on self care.
Health South Home Care: Social Worker (per diem)
March 1997 to October 1998
Provided individual and family in-home therapy with clients experiencing difficulty coping with acute and chronic illness. Assisted with linkage to and advocacy with community resources. Conducted in-service training related to issues facing health care providers. Planned a training panel on domestic violence and the elderly.
Kennebec Valley Mental Health Center: Social Worker
June 1989 to January 1991
Provided individual, family and group therapy in an outpatient setting. Assessed and treated clients as a member of the sexual abuse treatment team. Completed emergency assessment and disposition planning for clients in crisis. Conducted psychiatric assessments for elderly clients in Augusta Mental Health Institute, the state of Maine’s psychiatric hospital, long-term care unit.